Confusion over synonyms for Drosophila stress-sensitive B

A forum for general scientific discussions.

Confusion over synonyms for Drosophila stress-sensitive B

Postby amym » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:34 am

Hello,

I am working on a gene that has been annotated as ANT2 (adenine nucleotide translocator isoform 2) in the mosquito Anopheles gambiae. As there is still a dearth of functional information on some An. gambaie genes, I frequently refer to work that has been done on the corresponding Drosophila orthologues.

According to the ensembl link, the Drosophila orthologue of ANT2 is stress-sensitive B (sesB). However, when reading the literature on sesB, most authors seem to refer to it as being a synonym for ANT1, not ANT2.

To make matters even more confusing, the vertebrate literature on ANT genes contains 3 isoforms, ANT1, ANT2 and ANT3 - of these, ANT2 has very low abundance in vertebrates and is restricted to certain tissues (heart mainly). This does not fit the mosquito ANT2 picture I have, since mosquito ANT2 mRNA is relatively abundant and present in fatbodies, midgut and ovaries.

Lastly, the Drosophila orthologue of the Anopheles gambiae gene that has been annotated as ANT1 is also sesB.

So my question is, what is sesB - is it ANT1 or ANT2?

Also do the designations "1" and "2" refer to different things in Drosophila than they do in vertebrates? I gather that Drosophila ANT1 and ANT2 are alternatively spliced transcripts of the same gene, whereas this clearly isn't how the numbers are being used in An. gambiae, since Ag.ANT1 and Ag.ANT2 are presented as two separate genes. In vertebrates I get the impression that they are separate genes also.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this conundrum.

Many thanks,
Amy
amym

Return to General Discussion Area