Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, UK
Closing date: 24 August 2009.
The Cambridge (UK) division of FlyBase (http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/Research/flybase.htm) currently seeks a Systems Administrator/Software Developer, working either full or part-time to support its team of genetic literature curators.
FlyBase (http://flybase.org/) is the premier database of genetic, genomic and functional data for Drosophila species, with a focus on the model organism Drosophila melanogaster. The primary goal of FlyBase-Cambridge curators is to identify relevant genetic data from scientific articles concerning Drosophila, and to record these data in a systematic manner. Curated data are subsequently validated and integrated into the FlyBase database.
The core tasks of the Systems Administrator/Software Developer role include systems administration and the maintenance of Perl scripts and files required by the curators in their work. These tasks will occupy approximately 50% of a full-time position, and we are happy to consider applicants who only wish to work part-time (50%) to perform these essential tasks. However, we would like to enhance the current scripts/files and develop additional software to aid curators, and the remaining 50% of the full-time position would be spent on these areas.
· Unix-based system administration and IT support
· Knowledge of Linux and MacOS
· Expertise in Perl scripting
· Knowledge of relational databases and SQL
· Familiarity with subversion
· Familiarity with client-server operations for files, scripts and database access
· Familiarity with both GUI and text-based tools for data entry, querying and display
· Ability to communicate and collaborate productively with non-developers in office
· Ability to communicate and collaborate productively with developers based at international sites
· Design and implementation of graphical user interfaces
· Familiarity with XML and XSLT
· A background in, or familiarity with, genetics
· Familiarity with the FlyBase database and/or website
Informal enquiries to Dr Steven Marygold (email@example.com; Tel: +44(0)1223-333170).
See the official advert (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/jobs/vacancies.cgi?job=5487) for full details and application procedure.