We are seeking a highly motivated and energetic postdoctoral fellow to join the research group of Peter Todd in the Department of Neurology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
The University of Michigan is one of the top biomedical research institutions in the world and one of the top 2 NIH funded institutions in the United States. Dr Todd’s Lab is part of a larger group of investigators in the University of Michigan Initiative for Neurodegenerative Disease (UMIND), headed by Henry L. Paulson, operating in a beautiful new building with state of the art equipment and facilities.
Our lab studies the roles of RNA and RNA processing in neurological disease, especially in relation to neurodegeneration. We use drosophila as a model system for studying such diseases and complement our findings with work in mouse and human cell based systems. The work is inherently translational and aimed at development of better therapeutics for patients. This project focuses on the roles of RNA-mediated and protein-mediated neurodegenerative processes in a specific neurological disorder, Fragile X-associated Tremor Ataxia Syndrome (FXTAS). In addition, the post-doctoral fellow will be encouraged to pursue related projects on the roles of non-coding RNAs in neurological function and disease that are still in their infancy.
• A Ph.D. or equivalent in the biological life sciences.
• Experience/Expertise in Drosophila Genetics and ideally a strong background in cell and molecular biology and neurobiology.
• An interest in translating an understanding of basic biological processes towards advancing our knowledge of human disease and therapeutic development.
• The ideal candidate will be able to work independently, display excellent interpersonal communication skills, and a desire to work with others on large projects.
• Todd PK et al, PLoS Genetics, 6(12): e1001240, 2010. *Highlighted in Nature Chemical Biology, 7(2), 2011.
• Todd PK and Paulson HL. Ann Neurol 2010; 67: 291-300.
• Nedelsky NB et al, Biochem Biophys Acta 2008; 1782: 691-699
• Todd PK et al Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100: 14374-8 *Highlighted in Nature reviews Neuroscience 5,4 2004
For more information on the Todd Lab, please visit :
Please send your application including a letter describing your goals and why this position appeals to you, a CV and two letters of recommendation to Dr. Peter Todd, MD, PhD, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Flybase ad" in the subject line of the e-mail. Closing date is February 15th, 2010.