See full advert for terms and application details:
FlyBase (http://flybase.org/) seeks maternity cover for a part-time (40% FTE) literature analyst in our group in the Department of Genetics at the University of Cambridge, UK
The primary aim of FlyBase-Cambridge is to identify genetic data from scientific articles concerning Drosophila and to record these data in a systematic manner. Curated data are subsequently integrated into the FlyBase database and website to aid the international research community. The successful applicant will contribute to this effort in one or more ways, depending on their expertise. Possible roles include: rapid reading of the literature to identify the most data-rich papers for in depth analysis; focused analysis and annotation of sets of genes encoding related proteins or contributing to a particular biomedical process; contributing to the development of controlled vocabularies to link Drosophila phenotypes to human diseases; contributing to more computing-intensive improvements to the existing data in the database.
Essential skills/experience include:
· a biological sciences degree
· greater than 2 months of research experience using Drosophila
· the ability to work with care and attention to detail
· good communication skills, including excellent written and spoken English
· strong self-motivation and ability to work as part of a team
Informal enquiries to Dr Steven Marygold (firstname.lastname@example.org); Tel: +44(0)1223-333170).
Closing date: 15 April 2011.
Planned Interview dates: Interviews are anticipated to occur 18th-20th or 26th-27th April 2011.
* Maternity Cover: The funds for this post are available in the first instance until 31 December 2011 or the return of the post holder whichever is the earlier.