News about GA, a software hunting for transposon insertions

A forum for general scientific discussions.

News about GA, a software hunting for transposon insertions

Postby alexandruecovoiu » Sun May 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Dear Drosophilists,

During the last year we were working toward improving Genome ARTIST off-line software and we developed the v1.15 version, which is (I hope...) a more versatile and friendly tool than the former versions. Some nasty bugs were identified and solved. The manual is clearer now and some embarrassing mistakes (for which I do apologize) were removed from it. I would like to inform you that now there is a dedicated web page for Genome ARTIST at http://www.genomeartist.ro
The tool is now able to deal with any complete genome no bigger than the Anolis carolinensis one (yeasts, worms, insects, fishes, birds and lizards are fine) and with separate chromosomes of mammals. We put on the web page a few preloaded genomes for testing, but only for Drosophila melanogaster and Pseudomonas aeruginosa we preloaded artificial transposons. You may notice that for D. melanogaster we preloaded two kinds of annotations, one for the genes, and the other one for both genes and the natural transposons. Therefore, for any insertion sequence feed as a query, different best results with the same score, but with distinct annotations, are provided. This way, one may notice not only the gene affected by the insertion but also the natural transposons landscape close to the hit. Hoping that GA would be helpful for some of you, please let me know about any bug you may find. Any feed-back from you would be highly appreciated and you may send opinions at alexandruecovoiu@yahoo.com. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Alexandru Al. Ecovoiu
alexandruecovoiu

Return to General Discussion Area