Open Close
General Information
Symbol
Dmel\flw2
Species
D. melanogaster
Name
FlyBase ID
FBal0004119
Feature type
allele
Associated gene
Associated Insertion(s)
Carried in Construct
Allele class
Mutagen
    Nature of the Allele
    Allele class
    Mutagen
    Mutations Mapped to the Genome
     
    Type
    Location
    Additional Notes
    References
    Associated Sequence Data
    DNA sequence
    Protein sequence
     
     
    Progenitor genotype
    Cytology
    Nature of the lesion
    Statement
    Reference
    Expression Data
    Reporter Expression
    Additional Information
    Statement
    Reference
     
    Marker for
    Reflects expression of
    Reporter construct used in assay
    Human Disease Associations
    Disease Ontology (DO) Annotations
    Models Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
    Disease
    Evidence
    References
    Modifiers Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
    Disease
    Interaction
    References
    Comments on Models/Modifiers Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
     
    Phenotypic Data
    Phenotypic Class
    Phenotype Manifest In
    Detailed Description
    Statement
    Reference

    DLM and DVMs are scant. Myofibrils are disorganized, with variable fiber diameter, and Z bands are crooked.

    70% of flw2 flies are viable; 100% are flightless; 70% can make small jumps of less than 1cm while the remaining 30% cannot jump. In 90-95% of flies, the wings are held ventrolaterally at an angle ranging from 5o to 30o and 5o to 60o laterally - these angles increase following emergence. In 2-3% of flies, wing position is normal. Excitation of flw2 flies results in wings being raised into the vertical position; in most mutants the wings return to the depressed state after a few minutes, while up to 5% of flies continue to hold their wings in the vertical position.

    In many flw2 flies, the posterior cross-vein is incomplete, the anterior scutellar bristles are missing and the eyes are slightly roughened.

    Dorsal longitudinal fibres (DLMs) 1-4 and dorsoventral fibres (DVMs) 7-9 are absent in all flw2 flies. DLMs 5 and 6 are present in the 2-3% of flw2 flies that hold their wings in the normal position. Most mutants contain DVMs 10-13 but about 10% contain no indirect flight muscle fibres at all. The tergal depressor of the trochanters (TDTs) appear normal. In some flw2 mutants structures resembling larval fat-body cells are found in the thorax.

    External Data
    Interactions
    Show genetic interaction network for Enhancers & Suppressors
    Phenotypic Class
    Phenotype Manifest In
    Additional Comments
    Genetic Interactions
    Statement
    Reference
    Xenogenetic Interactions
    Statement
    Reference
    Complementation and Rescue Data
    Comments
    Images (0)
    Mutant
    Wild-type
    Stocks (0)
    Notes on Origin
    Discoverer

    Hanratty.

    External Crossreferences and Linkouts ( 0 )
    Synonyms and Secondary IDs (1)
    Reported As
    Symbol Synonym
    Name Synonyms
    Secondary FlyBase IDs
      References (2)