kay1/kay1 clones (mushroom body) exhibit proliferation defects (low number of axons and lack of later-born neurons) but show normal axon pruning.
kay1 neuroblast clones in the mushroom body have no gross axonal phenotypes.
kay1 embryos show a complete failure of dorsal closure.
Heterozygous adults treated with hydrogen peroxide at the onset of metamorphosis do not show any defects.
Mutant embryos have a dorsal closure phenotype.
Homozygous embryos have a dorsal open phenotype. kay1/kay2 embryos have a dorsal open phenotype. kay1/kay2 adults rescued by the expression of kayhs.PZ have a marked cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax.
Dorsal closure fails in homozygous embryos. The embryos have a large dorsal hole and the cuticle collapses. kay1/kay2 embryos have dorsal holes in the cuticle.
kay1/kay2 animals show a lethality and a thoracic cleft phenotype. These animals, do not recover when wounded. The epithelial cells at the edge of the wound also fail to undergo any evident cell shape change or show any cytoplasmic protusive extrusions. even after 18 hours after injury, the wound is not repaired.
Mosaic egg chambers in which the follicular epithelium is composed almost entirely of homozygous kay1 cells have a wild-type phenotype until stage 7/8 but degenerate during stage 9. This degeneration is associated with a failure of the main body follicle cells to accomplish their normal posteriorwards migration. Migration of border cells appears unaffected.
Embryos fail to show complete elongation of the dorsal epidermis after germband retraction. No bunching of the epidermis is seen.
Homozygous embryos exhibit a dorsal-open phenotype. kay1/kay2 transheterozygous embryos exhibit partially missing dorsal cuticle and the embryo is open dorsally.
Homozygotes die during embryogenesis, and have large anterior and dorsal holes, indicating a failure in dorsal closure and head involution. The leading edge epidermal cells initiate elongation transiently but subsequently resume the unelongated shape, while the more lateral epidermal cells elongate to a very minor extent and resume the typical polygonal shape after dorsal closure has been terminated prematurely. kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes are fully lethal as embryos at 25oC and 35% die as embryos at 18oC. The remaining 65% die as first instar larvae at 18oC. Homozygous embryos carrying two copies of kayαTub84B.PZ undergo normal dorsal closure and do not show the "dorsal open" phenotype, but fail to hatch. The degree of rescue is dependent on the dose of kayαTub84B.PZ. The lethality of kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes is rescued to adulthood by kayαTub84B.PZ. These adults have a cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax. The lethality of kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes is also rescued to adulthood by kayhs.PZ. Some of these adults have a cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax, and some appear wild-type.
Nondefective in gonad assembly.
embryonic lethal embryo open dorsally.