Mutants show a significant decrease in RP2 dendrite volume compared to controls.
Mutant embryos have a dorsal closure phenotype.
Homozygous embryos show a weak dorsal-open phenotype.
kay1/kay2 embryos have a dorsal open phenotype. Homozygous escapers have a marked cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax. kay1/kay2 adults rescued by the expression of kayhs.PZ have a marked cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax.
Homozygous embryos have a small dorsal anterior hole. kay1/kay2 embryos have dorsal holes in the cuticle.
23% of kay2 mutant pupae at 16 hours after puparium formation and 5% of pupae at 17-20 hours after puparium formation have persistent salivary glands.
kay1/kay2 animals show a lethality and a thoracic cleft phenotype.
Eggs derived from mosaic egg chambers in which the follicular epithelium is composed of homozygous kay2 cells consistently show two phenotypes; the eggs and their respiratory appendages are shorter than normal. In addition, two appendages of different lengths or "paddleless" appendages are often seen. Eggs which appear deflated are laid at a low frequency. The disappearance of nurse cell nuclei that normally occurs in stage 14 egg chambers is delayed in egg chambers in which the follicular epithelium is composed of homozygous kay2 cells, with many of the early stage 14 egg chambers containing as many as 15 remaining nurse cell nuclei.
Mutant embryos show a dorsal closure defect.
Thorax closure defects are seen in homozygotes at 6 hours after pupariation; the thoracic epithelium has not moved over the trachea and the three oblique muscles. At later stages, more severe defects are seen; the epithelium has retracted and fallen back into a folded state similar to that in third instar larvae. Homozygous adults have a cleft in the thorax at the dorsal midline, which causes a gap in the bristle pattern.
Homozygous embryos exhibit a partial dorsal-open phenotype.In a In(1)zae(bx) mutant background a fraction of kay2/Df(3R)01215 embryos die with mild dorsal-open phenotype (transvection is suppressed). kay1/kay2 transheterozygous embryos exhibit partially missing dorsal cuticle and the embryo is open dorsally.
50% of homozygotes die as embryos at 25oC, and 10% die as embryos at 18oC. Embryos may have dorsal holes. Approximately 1% of homozygotes can develop to adulthood, depending on the temperature and genetic background. These escapers occasionally have a cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax. kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes are fully lethal as embryos at 25oC and 35% die as embryos at 18oC. The remaining 65% die as first instar larvae at 18oC. The lethality of kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes is rescued to adulthood by kayαTub84B.PZ. These adults have a cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax. The lethality of kay1/kay2 transheterozygotes is also rescued to adulthood by kayhs.PZ. Some of these adults have a cleft along the dorsal midline of the thorax, and some appear wild-type.