Open Close
General Information
Symbol
Dmel\wekEX14
Species
D. melanogaster
Name
FlyBase ID
FBal0194093
Feature type
allele
Associated gene
Associated Insertion(s)
Carried in Construct
Nature of the Allele
Mutations Mapped to the Genome
 
Type
Location
Additional Notes
References
transposable element insertion site
Associated Sequence Data
DNA sequence
Protein sequence
 
 
Progenitor genotype
Cytology
Nature of the lesion
Statement
Reference

Imprecise excision of the P{PZ} element. A 1.1kb fragment from the 3' end of the element is left behind (inserted in reverse orientation) at nucleotide 13 and nucleotides 6-13 are duplicated.

Insertion components
P{3'PZ}wekEX14
Expression Data
Reporter Expression
Additional Information
Statement
Reference
 
Marker for
Reflects expression of
Reporter construct used in assay
Human Disease Associations
Disease Ontology (DO) Annotations
Models Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
Disease
Evidence
References
Modifiers Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
Disease
Interaction
References
Comments on Models/Modifiers Based on Experimental Evidence ( 0 )
 
Phenotypic Data
Phenotypic Class
Phenotype Manifest In
Detailed Description
Statement
Reference

wekEX14/Df(2L)BSC690 pupae display reduced levels of cell death (number of Dcp-1-positive cells) in the ventral nerve cord relative to controls but the number of eve-positive neurons is unaffected.

Embryos

derived from mothers homozygous mutant for wekEX14 in the germline develop dorsalized cuticular structures with a range of phenotypes. 51% of these embryos show an extreme dorsalized phenotype as they secrete a hollow tube of dorsal epidermis, while the other 49% lack ventral and lateral structures but retain the dorsolaterally derived filzkorper.

Although weklor/wekEX14 transheterozygotes are pupal lethal, some survive to adulthood but have crooked legs.

Embryos derived from weklor/wekEX14 mothers exhibit a dorsalized phenotype that is weaker than embryos derived from wekEX14 mothers, but stronger than embryos derived from weklor mothers.

External Data
Interactions
Show genetic interaction network for Enhancers & Suppressors
Phenotypic Class
Suppressor of
NOT Suppressor of
Statement
Reference
Phenotype Manifest In
Additional Comments
Genetic Interactions
Statement
Reference

The increased cell death (number of apoptotic Dcp-1-positive cells) in the ventral nerve cord of pupae expressing Toll-6C1020Y.Scer\UAS.T:Zzzz\FLAG under the control of Scer\GAL4elav.PU can be rescued by combination with wekEX14/Df(2R)BSC279. In contrast, the increase in Dcp-1-positive cells in pupal VNC induced by Scer\GAL4elav.PU-driven expression of Ect4EP3610 cannot be suppressed by loss of combination with wekEX14/Df(2L)BSC690).

The variable dorsalized embryonic phenotype of wekEX14 mutants is enhanced by mutations in the genes Tl, pll and tub. While 51% of wekEX14 embryos show an extreme dorsalized phenotype, this penetrance is increased to 97% in wekEX14; Tlr4/+ embryos, 92% in wekEX14; pll7/+ embryos and 96% in wekEX14; tub2/+ embryos.

Embryos produced by weklor/wekEX14; Tl3/+ mothers show a biphasic phenotype distribution. 76% show a moderately dorsalized phenotype; these embryos lack ventral and lateral structures but retain the dorsolaterally-derived filzkorper. 24% show a lateralized phenotype; these embryos are elongated and thin in appearance and contain fine rings of laterally-derived ventral denticle belts.

Xenogenetic Interactions
Statement
Reference
Complementation and Rescue Data
Comments

The reduced level of cell death (decreased number of Dcp-1-positive cells) observed in the ventral nerve cord (VNC) of wekEX14/Df(2L)BSC690 and the increase in cell death induced by Scer\GAL4elav.PU-driven expression of wekScer\UAS.ORF.GW.T:Ivir\HA1 can both be mitigated by combining the two manipulations together: The number of apoptotic cells in the VNC of wekEX14/Df(2L)BSC690 mutants expressing wekScer\UAS.ORF.GW.T:Ivir\HA1 is intermediate to each of the two perturbations and higher than in controls.

Images (0)
Mutant
Wild-type
Stocks (0)
Notes on Origin
Discoverer
Comments
Comments

Based on the extent of the dorsalized phenotype in embryos from germ-line clones, the following wek alleles can be ranked from strongest to weakest as follows: wekEX14 > wekRAR14 > weklor.

External Crossreferences and Linkouts ( 0 )
Synonyms and Secondary IDs (1)
Reported As
Symbol Synonym
Name Synonyms
Secondary FlyBase IDs
    References (2)