Homozygous and chico1/chicoflp147E adults show normal odour and electric shock reactivity.
Homozygous and chico1/chicoflp147E adults show significant impairment in 3 minute, 1 hour and 3 hour memory after olfactory aversive conditioning.
Homozygous pupae are more sensitive to X rays than wild type or heterozygous sibling controls.
chico1/chicoflp147E flies show lower body weight, fewer ommatidia, smaller wings, fewer cells per wing and smaller wing cell area than wild type.
Mosaic animals in which the eye is largely homozygous for chicoflp147E (generated using the "eyFLP" system) have small eyes.
The diameters of the dorsal trunk and transverse connective branches of the tracheal system are unchanged from wild type in Df(2L)flp147E larvae, while their lengths are reduced by 27% compared to wild type.
Homozygous chicoflp147E mutants (which are homozygous for Df(2L)flp147E - this causes the alleles chicoflp147E and bskflp147E, and also carrying the bsk+t5 rescue construct on the same chromosome to rescue the bskflp147E mutation) have a drastic weight reduction (65% in females, 55% in males) compared to wild-type. Body size reduction is observed at all developmental stages but does not alter the overall proportions of the flies. This is caused by a reduction in both cell size and number. In the wing, reduction in cell number accounts for 68% of the total reduction in wing size; the remaining 32% is due to the reduction in the average size of mutant cells. In homozygotes the ommatidial number is reduced by approximately 40%, from about 780 to about 480 ommatidia per eye. In homozygous larvae, the mean cell size in third instar wing discs is reduced by 10-14%. Homozygotes, despite their smaller size, have almost twice as much lipids as wild-type males per milligram of fresh weight.